Friday, June 26, 2009

Railroad Prayer

I was driving down Shadeland Ave. today towards the CVS. As I crossed over the tracks I saw a woman gently rocking back and forth and praying. She didn't look crazy. I don't think she was praying to the goddess of toothpaste or anything like that.
She looked in her late 50's, with whispy gray and blonde hair pulling in the wind. She had her hands clasped to her lips, and was sitting on the tracks. Again, I know this sounds crazy, but I really just wished I had a camera. Her face was intent as her mouth formed around the small words she muttered.
As I drove on, I couldn't help wondering what she was praying for. She didn't look in anguish- nor did she look angry. She had an almost smile- like a child on her face.
I started thinking about my prayers. What do I pray for? Every night I go through the same prayers I did as a child...Jesus tender...
Over the past 6 years I have added to my prayers to include the 3 most important men in my life. Is that enough?
This woman seemed thankful- hopeful- joyful. Was she thanking God the train was coming? Who knows.
So in my cheesebox, I started to say a little prayer. Thanking God for my everyday gifts. Thanking him for how my little guys help me to see what I look beyond. The perfect example being yesterday. Jack and I were at my mom's house outside watching her garden. Jack said "Mom, I really like those stones in the wall" What stones? The wall in front of my mom's house has beautifully colored stones lining the front. I hadn't looked at that in years. And someone had carved a J in one stone. I don't know who. One of three I guess.
So look around you today and say a railroad prayer!

No comments: