Thursday, January 24, 2008

4 Weeks


Its been 4 weeks already. Through all of the tiredness and sickness, it still doesn't feel like its been that long.

I know the exact moment I fell in love with Ollie. It wasn't right as he was born; I think because I was still heaving. It wasn't in the recovery room. It wasn't even on that day. I know it sounds horrible, but I'm just being honest.

On the morning of December 28 at around 6:30 AM they brought Ollie into my room. He went to the nursery that night because I wasn't able to get out of bed and Sage was home with #1.

There was a small light on that made the room soft yellow. They brought him in and I raised my bed. They put him into my arms and he was wide awake. Not hungry, not fussy, just awake. For about an hour we stared at each other. I just held him in the quiet and stared. I began to memorize his face and breathe him in. It was one of the most beautiful times of my life.

One month later, and he is getting personality and I swear he smiled at me this morning, and not because he was moving a good one!

I was never quite sure how you could fit two children into your heart...I know it happens all the time, but I just couldn't understand it until I was there face to face in a quiet hospital room with my second son.

Please get better little boy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janet, this is Mary Beth. We miss seeing you here at the Y and are dying to meet Oliver. Jack has been by to visit a few times recently in between sick days. When I asked what his new brother's name is, he responded Oliver James (not just Oliver). We all just love your blog. I make copies of the pictures and pass them on to Loretta and the girls in Child Watch. Then they sit on my counter where all of the passers by exclaim over the adorable baby and ask who he is. I hope Oliver heals quickly and everyone gets up and running. We are anxious to see all of you! mb

Linda said...

yeah...this made me cry a little!